Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Please Suh, May I Have Suhmoh

You need to read the title with an English accent. DUH.

I was treated to a visit from my sister, nephews and niece yesterday. As usual, there is a story behind it...

Savannah decided it was high time for her to get an education on make-up (not the kind of homework you have to do when you miss too much school). Me, being the ultimate girly mom of course replied, "Huh?" When she asked me where my make-up was so we could do some girl bonding...I started laughing. The last time I wore make-up was 3, almost 4 years ago for a family picture. Huh-loooo, have ya seen me. It's not that I am a granola type...it's called lazy...ka-peesh? Not that there is anything wrong with being a granola-y type (I personally happen to think that is a positive stereotype), I just don't wear make-up cuz I am the ultimate in lazy...and the hair? Wash and wear...oh yeah baby.

If I ever got a make-over I would probably freak out trying to figure out who was looking at me from the mirror...Okay, I think we have covered enough of MY dysfunctional personality for the day...back to Savannah and my complete inability to help her with make-up.

So thank goodness family. I made a quick call to my sister, who by the way, the last time we did a Mary Kay thing together...showed the Mary Kay lady a few snazzy tricks...she is that good. My sister has 3 kids...the oldest being 6...and a boy. So Heidis chance at having make-up girl bonding time, was pretty much slim to none. Fortunately the planets aligned and we were able to arrange for me to hang with her kids, while she took Savannah shopping and did some make-up-y things. Me and the kids....so WAY more my speed.

The 4 came yesterday, and then Heidi, Savannah and Sara were off. We had a FAB-O time. I love kids. I just feel so much more in my element. Yes, I do like to play with Legos...thank you very much. And I also like shooting people with the Buzz Lightyear Ray gun. Okay?

After hanging out for a while, I was up in the kitchen when Korbin (the awesome 6 year old), came up to me and said, "You know what? I'm hungry. And I don't know how to make a snack at your house." Cool...tell me how you really feel. We search for an appropriate snack in the snack drawer, but were unable to find anything appetizing...look if that can happen to a grown up looking at a fully stocked refrigerator...it can SO happen to a hungry 6 year old and a snack drawer. We finally decided on a Peanut Butter sandwich (don't worry, my PB came from food storage that had been there for a few months...no Salmonella worries here). I had very specific instructions, "Peanut Butter only on one slice of bread, no jelly, covered with another slice of bread." Got it...I may have a future in the restaurant business. Happiness reigned supreme as he headed back downstairs to hang with everybody else.

Two minutes later, Landon (the awesome 2 year old) ran up to me and said, "I heard Korbin eating and sandwich. I want a sandwich." I wish I had super-powers that allowed me to hear people eating a sandwich...why do you think I love this kid so much. Again, specific instructions, "Peanut butter, jelly, no, yes, no, yes, yes jelly". I think I got it right. He ate it.

Two minutes later, Hadlie (the awesome 4 year old) ran up to me and said, "Don't worry, I'll make my own sandwich." I LOVE SELF SERVICE. And I told her, that it would make me really happy to make her a sandwich if I could just finish the song I was playing on the piano. After about 30 seconds, I hear a sweet voice from the kitchen, "I'm still waiting." (with the perfect sing-songy tone...it is a genetic trait). And 5 seconds after that, she runs in to tell me that she got the bread out for me. "Just the bread, that's it. That's all I did." What a rockin' kid...no woman shall work alone in her kitchen.

I made her sandwich...and again, felt so satisfied that I was able to fill another hungry belly. She took her sandwich and went to play with everyone else. We enjoyed the rest of the visit...snacking all the way. Sadly, the end of our play-date ended way too soon. It was time for everyone to head home, have their dinners and do their nightly routines.

After I got my own children fed, I went to make my own sandwich. As I reached into the bread bag, my hand was covered in a slimy, gooey mess. Strawberry jelly. And yet, I could still hear the sound of, "Just the bread, that's it. That's all I did." echoing in my head.

Lessons Learned
1. Skin washes.
2. Who the heck cares...it's just jelly.
3. I love my nieces and nephews...it's nice that they come down to my level and play with me.
4. The family that eats together...gets chubby. We should start working on that whole plays together thing.
5. Food conquers all...whoever said love conquers all, had just finished at an all you can eat buffet.

4 comments:

Megan said...

It actually sounds like a lot of fun!
You can't ever go wrong with PB sandwiches...they are the best!

Megan said...

It actually sounds like a lot of fun!
You can't ever go wrong with PB sandwiches...they are the best!

Christy said...

Thanks! I needed a lift today. That was such a sweet story.

Heidi said...

I love it! I had such a GREAT time with Savannah. We will come and play again, it did end way too soon! ;)