Pages

Monday, July 6, 2009

Stadium of LIAR

My kids wanted to go to the Stadium of Fire as soon as they heard the Jonas Brothers were going to be there. And Felix and I being the devious, cruel hearted parents that we are decided to take them, but NOT tell them. I bought our tickets on the day they came out (we did manage to get some pretty good seats) and hid them until Saturday...YAY me.

When Savannah found out her BFF Sara was going, I was subject to begging, pleading, and all manner of sobbing when I told her, sorry, we just didn't have the money this year. Not that she didn't try OVER and OVER and OVER again. There was much humor (for me at least). Felix and I enjoyed immensely, the fact that our children couldn't understand why they didn't get what the wanted, the second they wanted it. We chalked it up to a life lesson.

Eventually, I let Saras' mom in on the surprise, and we made arrangements to bring their kids home so they wouldn't have to fight the traffic to pick them up. We managed to keep it from all of the kids...it was awesome.

So on Saturday night, we left at 6:30 to get to the stadium. We told the kids we were going to Provo to buy fireworks from a place that was supposed to be really cheap (I AM SUCH A LIAR). We warned them that we would probably get stuck in traffic...how prophetic that statement ended up being. Even though we left early, sadly for us, we took a wrong turn, got completely bogged down in traffic and didn't get anywhere near the stadium until 7:50...YIKES. So we ended up parking 2 blocks away (in our pediatricians parking lot, no less). We were hoping for the handicapped parking lot for Baylee, but we were so late, it was already blocked off and we were out of luck.

When we finally got out of the car, the kids wanted to know where the fireworks stand was, Felix and I were both in such a bad mood that we snapped at the kids that we were going to Stadium of Fire and they better move fast. We pretty much ran to the stadium and managed to get into our seats by 8:10.

Thankfully, I didn't miss my favorite part (the flyover)...and as soon as Caleb saw the jets and helicopters, he was ready for the action. The girls were so giddy, they couldn't stop grinning and giggling. Noah was so mad about not buying fireworks and going back to grandmas that he sat with his arms folded and pouting. Hey...your loss dude.

We truly enjoyed Glen Beck (okay, I did...I'm a huge fan...I share very similar beliefs regarding the direction of our country). I loved the historial aspect of the flag, and was so excited to see my kids paying attention and asking questions about our nations history...I LOVE MY LITTLE BRAINIACS.

She-Daisy was okay...not a country fan, so I didn't really care. Savannah and I kept texting Sara and James to arrange for a meeting point after the show so we could all get to the car in one piece. We really liked the fire-dancers...we admit it, we love the thrill and possibility of someone getting hurt performing (it kind of goes right along with going to hockey games to watch the blood bounce on the ice).

The Jonas Brothers put on a great show and the girls screamed until their throats were raw. Caleb decided somewhere in the middle that he needed a light stick...couldn't find one, so I bought him a light 'em up mug...didn't work. So he screamed for an hour. YAY for me. Felix went and looked for a light stick...no luck. Noah continued to pout and the girls continued to swoon. I loved watching the people (okay, the old people like me...give all of the screechy girls weird looks like, "Okay, you can stop now.")

My favorite part (my new favorite) was when the giant flag was retired. It was such an honor, watching the symbol of our country be respectfully laid to rest and honorably retired after so many years of service. It was very touching for me, because I had been at the Stadium of Fire that the flag was first used.

I am so grateful for this nation and all that it stands for. We are struggling right now, but if we can pull together and work hard, we will be better for the fight. This nation is worth standing up for, not only abroad but within. After this holiday season, I am definitely ready and willing to stand up for America. I realize how good I have it here, and want to continue that way. One of the neatest things I saw at the Stadium was on a T-shirt. It read, "Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God." LOVE IT.

I loved the surprise, but I did have some major explaining to do about lying. Lying is wrong, unless you are the mom and have an extremely good reason. Fortunately, my kids were happy enough to forgive me. While I don't usually with this philosophy, this time it was definitely "better to ask forgiveness than get permission".

As we were on our way out to the car (with our 7 charges), Felix spied a light stick dude across the way and drug us all to him to buy the stick for Caleb. Caleb responded with, "Okay, now I'm happy." And as we made our way across the street, Noah started leading the group and made the comment to Felix, "I like being in front, it makes me feel good about myself."

My kids manage to find happiness in the oddest places...but no one ever said normal equals happy...I think my family is proof positive of that.

Lessons Learned

1. FAMILY TIME ROCKS.
2. AMERICA ROCKS.
3. LYING DOES NOT ROCK (but this time it worked).
4. ACCORDING TO BAYLEE AND SAVANNAH, THE JONAS BROTHERS ROCK.
5. I am really grateful that I walk on the treadmill everyday, I wasn't even sore the next day.

No comments: