Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

I Don't Know How I Feel About This....

Yesterday was Caleb's fourth birthday.


As the caboose of the family, birthdays for him are usually on the rough side. So many people, activities and stuff...so little time.

On his third birthday, he absolutely refused to admit that he was having a birthday. He spent the entire day crying and telling anyone who would listen that it wasn't really his birthday...it was Savannahs. Denial will get him nowhere...that is a life lesson that he is going to learn the hard way.

Yesterday morning he was awakened by his oldest sister screaming happy birthday, jumping on his bed, yada, yada, yada. After trying to stay asleep and in bed, he finally wandered down the stairs with his faithful blankey dragging behind. He pushed his head against the stair rail and uttered a soft good morning. I offered my over-exuberant birthday wishes at which point, he looked at me and said, "I don't know how I feel about this." Then promptly went back to bed.

Is that what happened on my 29th birthday (again)? Apparently, aging is optional.

Lessons Learned

1. You are as old as you feel...I'm guessing Caleb is still feeling three-ish.

2. Maybe we should abolish birthday and just celebrate each other every day....

3. I think I should work on Calebs birthday etiquette...he thinks he is supposed to play with each present as he opens it.

4. It is not often you get to witness pure, unadulterated joy...milk it for all it's worth.

5. I'm so glad that he's my boy.

1 comment:

Megan said...

That is so funny! I've had a birthday or two like that!