Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Live From the..............SFZ

I coulda said New York or even the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone in Vietnam)...but I decided that I really needed my own little zone, which is how the SFZ started. Quick side note: I am so lucky to have a friend who can so plainly see the place where I am.

The Spunk Free Zone (SFZ) is a place I visit very rarely. It hovers inside my head at all times, but I don't retreat there except in cases of extreme stress. I think I qualify.

Since my Random Thoughts regarding the Bowling Pin in my refrigerator, I have been bobbing around in the flood (otherwise known as my life) getting a nostril or two full of air. I have decided that my oxygen deprivation is what drove me into the SFZ. So in order to make my case of why I haven't been blogging, I decided a day-to-day play-by-play (I LOVE HYPHENS) would help me to articulate.

Monday - Bowling Pin Mania
Tuesday - More fun with Physical Therapy and Bunko....YAY Bunko...man I sure needed a good laugh.
Wednesday - Sick kids and multiple trips to school for missed homework, forgotten homework, I don't know why homework isn't getting done.
Thursday - More fun with Physical Therapy. But I decided it was time to stop. You know, it is so frustrating that you only get 20 visits a year that are covered by insurance. We made the decision that Baylee is doing well enough to stop (only because we thought we should save some visits for the rest of the year).
Friday - Savannah get to have an ultrasound and VCUG at the hospital. Woohoo. Talk about a good time. The ultrasound was done first. The first technician kept saying, "What is that? Is her liver in the way?" Savannah and I kept shooting panicked glances at one another. Then the second tech took over and started whispering comments to the first tech. Finally they did the other kidney. When they were done, the techs said, "We are going to go and show this to the radiologist...stay here." Okkkkaaaaaayyy. Never had to not leave an ultrasound before. The next thing we know the techs are back and they brought the radiologist with them. No need to talk to us....we were just there for the show. And the radiologist re-did the ultrasound. When it was all done...we were dismissed.

After that we headed to same day surgery to get prepped for the VCUG (short, short version...a VCUG is when your bladder is pumped full of dye and x-rays are taken to see what the dye does inside your body). Poor Savannah was so scared she just sat on the bed with big tears running down her face. But they knocked her out and she did fine. When she started waking up (at the very end of the test she had to be awake) she kept mumbling and the anesthesiologist was talking to her trying to keep her calm. Savannah finally yelled out that she wanted her mom. I leaned over and asked her what she wanted. She looked at me and said, " I hate you." Oh, the love...can you feel it? A few minutes later she started mumbling about how at least her friends loved her. Okay, I get the point. I have failed my daughter.

Once we were done, we headed home. You know, it was just plain a long day and it wasn't even over yet. Yikes.

Saturday - Ahhhhh, Valentines Day. I went and run errands with Savannah. Once I got home, Felix went and ran errands with Noah. When he got home, I went and ran errands with Savannah and Baylee. It was SO romantic.

Sunday - I had a full fledged cold at this point...and I was a touch crabby. I would like to offer my humblest public apology to the kids in my sunday school class. Dude...soooooooo sorry. I spent most of the rest of the day in bed.

Monday - Yay presidents day. Felix had to work, so it was just me and the kids...most of which I farmed out to others, while I crashed because for some weird reason, I was getting worse. Then I went to check email and the modem was dead. It didn't need CPR or anything...cuz it was too late. We will be having a burial at sea as soon as the restrictions against throwing modems in the ocean are rescinded.

Tuesday - This was Savannahs big day at Primary Childrens. She and I were very anxious to find out what was going on with her kidneys. Felix took the day off so he could come with us. We got up there...through some incredibly psycho weather...but hey, life IS an adventure. We were relieved to find out there was anything horribly wrong...just some scarring/minor damage on her right kidney and debris in her bladder that was most likely caused by her recurring infections. Everything is very manageable. YAY....she looked like she had the weight of the world lifted off of her shoulders.

We made it home, collected the children (who went to play instead of checking in with grandma) and dropped everyone off so Felix and I could run some last minute birthday errands for Noah. Once we finished that we called the kids, told them to get grandma and we were going to IHOP for the all you can eat pancake festivus. After dinner there was a quick trip to Wal Mart (the best amusement park in Utah)...and then home. I was ready to go to bed.

Once we got home, I had to clean out one of the random messes that seem to spontaneously happen and Felix got to take everyone else in the house. After a few minutes, I hear my name being called. I go to the front door where my doorknob is so loose it is kind of hanging from the door. There are also scratches on the door and the wood is splintered by the locks. For FUN...an attemped break in.

Fortunately, it didn't look like they actually made it into the house. Nothing was gone or out of place, just some damage to the door itself. Thank goodness we had all been gone and we were all together. So the police came out and we made a report. At which point, everyone started crying. Looks like there was a slumber party heading to my bedroom. We managed to calm everyone down and get them to bed.

Which brings us to today. Today is Noahs birthday. I am sad that there has been this kind of build up towards his special day. So we are going to make the best of it and party hard...which means Chuck E Cheese. Oy...I hate the Rodents of Unusual Size (R-O-U-S...watch The Princess Bride). I would do anything for him...even if it means eating at Chuckies (Bride of Chucky anyone?).

So today I get to celebrate a member of my family...someone who has brought so much with him to this life. He is a true joy and a royal pain...all wrapped into one....and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Tomorrow is a new day...and another trip to Primarys. But at the end of the day, even though I can't say that we have our health, I can say that we have each other.

Lessons Learned
1. It's just stuff.
2. Even though I currently reside in the SFZ, and least I'm here and along for the ride.
3. I'm so very tired.
4. If you tried to get into my house...please don't do that again....it's not nice.
5. Fear helps my children remember they love me.

3 comments:

Christy said...

wow!! wow. That is an amazing week. And you are still here to talk about it. Sorry about the door, I just needed some sugar. ok, bad joke. :) I'm glad no one was hurt and no one got into your house. did any neighbors have any attempted breakins? Good luck for this week!

Megan said...

Ok where do I start? You are amazing...i am pretty sure I would've given up to exhaustion at some point in there. Gees!
You are a great mom and boy do you have a lot of appts. and doctor visits! Holy cow...do you need a day off? I'm here if you need me!

jill peters hawley said...

you need to get out of that bad neighborhood! stuff like this does not happen in Colorado :) we are glad savannah is okay. we are sending many many hugs and good vibes! oh- and don't worry about the jello mold....