Pages

Monday, December 29, 2008

She Dislocated Her Wutt?

Okay...I have had so many random thoughts in the last 48 hours, that I gave up and decided I should tell a story instead. Now before you begin, I would just like to point out that I have not gone and jumped off the spelling wagon...it will all make sense, I promise. And if you would like you can hum the 'Had a Bad Day' song while you read.

This thread begins where our adventure at the Body Worlds Exhibit ends on Saturday night. We went to dinner, enjoyed it and came home...too pooped to pop. Felix, Savannah and I headed upstairs to try and finish up the 24 CD we are on (we would really like to be caught up before 24 starts up again). After we made it through one episode, Caleb comes upstairs and says Baylee is hurt and needs our help. We tell him to go down and tell the drama queen to come upstairs herself.

We had so much fun with this little exchange, we opted for the repeat option and did about 5 more times. Word for word, action for action, huffy breath for huffy breath. Finally, Felix and I decided that since Savannah was younger and in such better health she had to go down and check on Baylee (and it is part of their 12 step program, to admit they have a problem with one another and have to work on being nice). After a few minutes, we start to hear, bump...bump...bump...bump...bump...and really, either someone had really severe gastrointestinal distress or someone was dragging something up the steps.

Then we see Savannah drag Baylee up the 4 steps to our room. She wasn't crying, she didn't even say she hurt anywhere. I looked at her, told her to get up. She said she couldn't because she couldn't feel her legs...And the Oscar goes to... Finally, after she lays immobile on the floor for about 5 minutes I go over to check on her. Other than having really stiff legs, I couldn't find anything wrong, except maybe that her feet weren't reacting to touch at all. She did however start screaming every time I brushed by her legs. I finally ask what happened and find out she was sitting in her saucer chair, which Caleb pushed over. She fell, but she said that it didn't hurt, but when she tried to stand up she couldn't because she couldn't feel her legs. I decided we were have a melodrama infused night, and gave her some Tylenol and put her in her brothers bed. Eventually Savannah went to bed in there and so did Caleb. I guess misery loves company.

So we get up on Sunday morning with the usual crazy that it included in trying to get a family of 6 out the door and to church on time at 9 am (I can't wait for the 11 o'clock time to roll around). Felix has to take the boys and Savannah and I have to get Baylee dressed, medicated and carried to the car. Because for some reason, I still thought we had some drama going on (look boys and girls...there really is a reason why I am NOT mother of the year). So we make it to the church and through the passing of the sacrament when Baylee starts moaning, and getting more and more pale. We decided it was time.

I picked her up and got to AF Hospital as quickly as I could. Fortunately, there was hardly any one there. They got us a wheelchair and right back to a room. They did all of the necessary stuff, and then we waited for the ER doc. Once he came in, I gave him a rundown of her history (which took a few minutes, thanks to the never ending excitement her health adds to our lives), and explained, I was relatively sure it was not realted to her arthritis, Sever' Disease, or any of the other fun things. I believe it was trauma related. The doctor checked the sensitivity of her feet, her left foot was still non-reactive, but her right foot was...YAY-Progress.

So we went and did a whole battery of x-rays. And then we waited...looking back, along with plumbing, I have done a heck of a lot of waiting in the past year, hmmm, is it me?

After a couple of hours, the ER doc comes in and says, the Xrays are fine. It's probably arthritis, here's some Lortab, go home and call her rheumatologist tomorrow. Seriously? SERIOUSLY. So basically this guy was sending home a child who, for an unknown reason, simply couldn't walk...and I was supposed to be okay with this. I explained again that I believed it was trauma related, not arthritis related. The sudden onset should have been his first clue...ya think? But I guess, unknown to me, it was turn away a child day at the hospital. I HATE it when I don't get the memo.

So I took the drugs, took the kid and my horrible attitude and went home. My parents left their meetings early so my father could help administer a blessing. It was a much needed source of peace.

We made it through the course of the day with me carrying, clothing, feeding, etc, etc, etc poor Baylee. By the end of the day, she was able to stand with help. I was starting to feel better, until I remembered that the doctor didn't do (in my extremely humble, okay, maybe not humble opinion) his due diligence where my daughter was concerned.

I woke up at 7 am this morning, to make an appointment with the pediatrician, because I wasn't sure if I would be able to reach the rheumatologist. We decided to save the rest of the Lortab for night, and started Tylenol-ing up. It was probably the longest morning of my life. As we were getting ready to head to the doctor, the rheumatologist called, and agreed that it was likely trauma related. We were instructed to head to the pediatrician, and if we had any problems today, call them tomorrow and they would see us and get us in for a CT scan.

We made it to the pediatrician, and placed ourselves right in front of the fish tank. I'm pretty sure that each of us had a giant blank stare on our faces, while we were pretending everything was hunky dory.

We went back to the room, did her vitals and waited. Baylee was terrified at this point. She has had MRI's in the past, and didn't like the experience. She was tortured at the thought that she might have to do another.

The doctor finally came in, did an incredibly thorough exam, made a few adjustments to her back, and explained she popped out her sacroiliac. We received a prescription for more Lortab, because in the next few days, she was definitely going to need it as the nerves that had been compressed wake up.

Now if you are still asking yourself what exactly, is a sacroiliac? Simple, she dislocated her ummm, well, it rhymes with wutt (only it starts with a B). If you have questions, you know how to reach me.

Lessons Learned
1. You know what, sometimes you just have to laugh even when crying is so much easier.
2. It isn't everyone that dislocated their umm, it rhymes with wutt.
3. Baylee is one of the most incredible people I have had the honor of knowing...she is tougher than nails.
4. When you have to make the choice between laughing or crying...pick laughing...it burns calories.
5. This would explain why my current diet consists of chocolate covered cinnamon bears and caffeine free diet coke.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I just don't even know what to say to that. Wow.

Lore said...

Wow, who knew you can't walk when your wutt is out of wack!