Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What If I Panic?

We tried last summer to teach Caleb how to ride his bike and he would have NONE OF IT.  So last Friday, Savannah and Sara tried to give it a go.  He was interested, but he can work Savannah like nobodies business...and all he had to do was say, "I can't." and she pushes him.  Smart kid.

So on Saturday Felix and I tried to give it a go and within 30 minutes he was riding his bike...yes, we are that good.  Not really, Caleb was just ready, Felix understands how boys need to balance and the rest was history.

Once we got him going, the overprotective part of being a parent kicked in and Felix and I felt the need to stay by him while he was learning.  Like everything else Caleb has done in life, he has two speeds...Stop and Super FAST.  Let's just say I got my exercise.

About halfway through our growing up journey of riding a bike, he started riding, stopped, looked up at me and said, "What if I panic?"  "Well," I said, stop and get off.  He kept asking me over and over again, "What if I panic?"  I kept giving the same answer.  Let my just say that Caleb has persistance that would try Job.  I finally got him to put a cork in it and ride his bike.  I was so grateful.  About 20 minutes later I was telling my cute "panic" tale to a neighbor and Savannah walked up and heard the conversation.

"Oh," she says..."whenever he freaks out he slams on the breaks and yesterday Sara and I told him to stop 'panicking'.  He thinks putting the brakes on is called panicking."

Lessons Learned
1. Kids really do know what they are talking about.
2. I have no idea what anyone is talking about.
3. We have now mastered braking and turning...the mommy no longer has to run (that was not a pretty picture).
4. Awwwww....he's so cute on his teeny, tiny bike.
5. Like the rest of the munchkins...all he has to do is want to do something and it's done.

No comments: