Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Stop that Cart...But Leave 'The Finger' Out of It

As I have been searching for Corn-free, Yeast-free, basically food free items for Noah to eat, we (that would be Caleb and I) made a quick trip to Good Earth this morning.  He had a snack, a drink and was totally up for the experience.  That makes one of us.

After dropping the pretzels, succumbing to multiple requests for this and that (and of course it was all the stuff I could have gotten cheaper someplace else), I was so done.

We pay and make a quick escape to the car.  I put Caleb in the car (he refused to wear shoes even though it was snowing...that's my boy) and went to put my purchases in the back of the car.

My back seats were laying down flat and I needed them up to keep everything from flying all over the place (have you ever gone somewhere with me and let me drive? 'nuff said).  So I put up the first seat, grab the second seat to pull it into place when the cart makes it's move.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see a glint, it could be the snow...but alas, it was the renegade shopping cart...trying to escape with my fairly expensive corn free, yeast free, food free food.  So I hurry to put the second seat back up and make my move to jump after the cart all at the same time...hey, I was multi-tasking.  When just after I make my leap towards the car, I am jerked back like a rubber band shot gone awry.  I had shut my middle finger in the recess between the two seats. 

I yank trying to free my hand from the car, which is apparently in cahoots with the cart and I am stuck fast.  So I yank harder.  It hurt.  It hurt really bad.  But I got free, made it to the cart before it hit a car that was worth more than my house.

I loaded the groceries, took the cart in, got in the car and inspected the finger.  Yes, I purposefully said 'the finger'.  A red scrape (no broken skin) down the center of it and a purply (is that a word?), bluish colored knot rising at the base of my finger.  Great.  Now I can use 'the finger' to give people 'the finger' whether I mean to or not.

Lessons Learned
1.  I'm insured...
2.  I'm not so swollen anymore, but it still hurts.
3.  I better check to see if I have a stupidity rider on my insurance.
4.  I can't even try and do a 'good mom' deed without something weird happening.
5.  Not a good sign when you make it to the 'For the love of Pete' portion of the day before noon.

No comments: