Pages

Monday, April 6, 2009

No Way...Way

We live in such a different technological time from our children.

Noah is currently studying Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius (one of my favorite natural disasters). He has a tendency to get really into things that interest him (especially if mayhem and destruction are involved). Which would explain the nightmares about being in Pompeii, witnessing the volcanic eruption and choking and dying on the ash.

So tonight he wanted to get more information on Pompeii and Vesuvius because his test was coming up (yes, he is in 3rd grade...but is sometimes well beyond his years). So we spent some time "Google"-ing and we found a really fun volcano simulation that you could create by adjusting magmic pressure and gaseous pressure. Yup, this is exactly the kind of thing we have fun doing. Side Note: I totally built the best volcano.

I digress........

So Noah looked at a few sites and was sharing some of the information he found. Then he went back to Google. Felix asked what he was doing. Noah informed him that he was looking for a video of the actual Vesuvius eruption. Simultaneously Felix and I both said, "They didn't have video cameras in 79 A.D."

And Noah said, "Yes they did. They just recorded in black and white."

Lessons Learned
1. Do you think I should tell him that there was no such thing as Playstation when I was a kid?
Nevermind, I don't want to accidentally kill him.
2. He found a pretty cool reproduction (in black and white) and said, "See, I told ya so."
3. I love that his mind is never satisfied.
4. I am amazed at how easily his imagination places him into the situation.
5. I'm glad that he and I can marvel over natural disasters together...isn't that what families are all about?

3 comments:

Megan said...

That's great that he takes such interest in his projects! What a smarty pants.
That's funny, it's so true...what would kids say if they knew that cel phones didn't always exist? Or even worse...text messaging? Kinda like walking to school 4 miles in 4 feet of snow, isn't it! : )

Christy said...

I keep telling my students at school that we had dial phones, no push buttons and they were attached to the wall. Then when I break the news I didn't have a computer at home, or in my elementary school, they wonder how I ever survived. "well, back in the day . . . " :)

Shawn and Kareyliz said...

May I just say...I really love that kid.