Pages

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dumb Waiter (and NOT the Elevator Kind)

So I made a post on Facebook saying (more or less) the exact title of this post.  I told the story to someone last night and she agreed it needed to go on the blog.

We haven't eaten out much lately, largely due to the food allergy issue floating through our house.  And because I think my kids need to understand eating out is a privilege....NOT a right.  But that is a story for another time and place.

So we go out to eat at a popular eating establishment (across the street from Los Hermanos in Lindon) that serves pizza and pasta, but shall remain nameless.  We sit down and wait a while for our server.  By the time he shows up we aren't just ready to order drinks, we wants us some fooooood.  Three of us did salad bars, so we went and ate right away.  And then we waited some more.  He came back after a while...a long, long while with waters all around.  And the explanation that there was a broken water main and there was no soda.  OK fine.  Where's the food?

After another long wait, the food comes and the server offers to discount our meal for not having soda...whatever.  I always drink water anyways...so it really wasn't a big deal to me.  The food finally showed up and the server said half the drinks are working, so he brought a few out....not what we had ordered, but ok.

As per the norm, Caleb starts going nuts, wants to leave...Baylee joins the bandwagon...and Savannah and Noah try to light the bandwagon on fire.  The bill comes and I handed the server my debit card without looking at the bill...not the best idea, but have you met my kids?

The bill comes back and I realized we were charged for an extra meal.  Okay, then there was a discount, but the discount didn't really matter anymore because it was eaten up by the extra meal that NOBODY ordered.  So since the kidlets were restless, I sent everyone to the car, and I waited to let the waiter know.

Now, while our waiter took his time between visits during the meal, I could see him flittin' around here and there.  Always movin' around.  Funny, I get my bill and apparently he was either abducted by aliens or a giant sinkhole opened up where the water main was and sucked our poor little waiter away.

I waited....for fifteen minutes.  Finally, realizing the children were trapped in the car with Felix and great grandma and I knew I had to abandon my post.  So I left less than a normal tip....k, this had nothing to do with the soda...it had to do with the suspicious disappearing act when I received my inflated discounted bill.  I still left a tip, but not what I normally would have.  Then, because I am who I am, I left a note on the bill that I had been overcharged.  Feeling somewhat vindicated...I left.

As I was leaving the hostesses (yes, there were 2) I was asked (twice) how my meal was...I replied it was fine except for the part where I was overcharged.  Let me remind you...there were TWO of them (2).  And in unison...that perhaps had been rehearsed...they replied, "Okay have a good night, come again."

As I shook my head and walked out the double doors, out of the corner of my eye, my waiter handed my bill to the hostesses, saw me and took off around the corner.  Do you think he knew something was afoot?

Lessons Learned
1.  Check the bill BEFORE you pay....even when your kids are flipping out.
2.  If you have money to throw away....just walk out and keep your mouth shut.
3.  If you DON'T have money to throw away, say something and don't shut up until the situation is rectified.
4.  I really like pizza and pasta, I wonder if I will ever go there again or if I will have to frequent another establishment.
5.  Hmmmm....dumb waiter....he totally knew the bill was wrong and he was playing hide and seek hoping to get away with it.  That's okay...I just talked to the manager of the eating establishment....there are at least 2 hostesses who got busted down and I'll bet it took very little torture before they gave up the waiter to THE MAN.  Victory is mine.

1 comment:

The Ridgeways said...

So glad that #5 happened! I hate bad waiters.