Pages

Monday, June 27, 2011

We're Gonna Die.

Ahhhhhhhhh......what a wacky adventure life has been lately.

After the paint, poop and pool extravaganza, it hasn't seemed to really slow down all that much.  I seem to be trapped in the perpetual cycle of the 'fastest-longest' portion of my life.  I know that sounds really bizarre, but I truly understood what that meant in the three days leading up to Grandma's death.  If you haven't experienced it yet....you will.

My mom and my uncle took some serious time and cleaned out all of Grandma's stuff.  I thought it would help...sadly, it just made me miss her all the more....because now, even more of her is gone.

So.... as we have been traversing this SUPER exciting path to moving (have I mentioned what an extraordinary home-body I am?), I have been working like a mad woman.  Why?  Because I am renting out my house and my OCD won't let me rent it unless I have done EVERY SINGLE project I have ever thought about doing....EVER!  Sigh.

So, I have had a basin sink installed in the laundry....everything that ever considered leaking fixed, the air conditioning fixed and conditioned...etc.  I know....why did I wait to do all of these project?  Because I thought someday or getaroundtoit would never get here.

I have painted the master bedroom, bathroom, every single door in the house (all 28 of them), the laundry room, Savannah's room, Savannah's bathroom and today I took down all of the wall hangings so that I could patch all of the holes and then do touch up painting in EVERY SINGLE ROOM.  Have I mentioned that I'm pretty sure I have a touch of OCD?  And I haven't even ordered the carpet for the room that is too disgusting to rent as is....

In the past week, I found out the New York office forgot to approve our move, discovered Delta needs 30 days to guarantee our pets are on our plane, and that the pets have to be dropped off at 6:30 in the morning.  Oh, but let's not forget the health certificates that are going to cost A FREAKIN' FORTUNE!

And just for kicks, the relocation company has tried to convince Felix that I should drive across the country (by myself) with four kids, four pets in the middle of summer.  My dear, sweet husband told them that he wanted to stay married to me so that is not an option (bless his soul).....


In my spare moments, I have flown to Missouri and signed papers on our new house.  I have found renters (WHO I ADORE) to take care of my house and in between home improvement projects, I have sat in my closet, rolled into the fetal position (or rocked) all while sucking my thumb.  

I have really wanted to blog....but I can't type when my thumb is in my mouth......

Because I am still shooting for mother of the year, I promised my kids the best summer ever....which includes weekly trips to Lagoon.  My OCD gets involved on occasion and I sit in front of the computer rearranging 'projects' so I can make up for lost time spent on roller coasters....  Tomorrow, my children are forcing me to go on Wicked.  We're gonna die.

BUT, last week, when the boys went to the Father/Son camp out, I decided I needed a night off.  So girls' night it was.  I let them pick the restaurant, but I picked the movie.

We mostly enjoyed Olive Garden....after an argument about whether or not we could have dessert when none of us could finish dinner and then STILL get treats at the movie....NOT!  I was paying, so let's paraphrase with I DON'T THINK SO.

After dinner it was off to the movies...Yeah, I picked Super 8.  RIGHT ON!  Number one...I love disaster movies!  Number 2...I heard it was Goonies on steroids!  Number 3...if I could pay to scare the crap out of my kids and make them still need me even for a moment, then it was totally WORTH IT!  Needless to say, I LOVED IT...and the soundtrack (which was amazing) is getting released tomorrow!  WOOHOO.

On our way home, stuck in the maze formerly known as Thanksgiving Point, we (I) decided the freeway was the best route.  Until I turned and realized I was behind a semi getting on the on-ramp at 25 miles per hour.  I just followed (slowly) and without even thinking said, "We're gonna die."  Savannah looked at me and said, "WHAT?  WHAT DO YOU MEAN?" as she frantically looked around the car for something careening at us at break neck speeds....then she realized I had just lost my mind.

So Saturday rolled around and Felix and I were immensely blessed to attend the sealing of two of our favorite people in the whole, wide world at the Mt. Timp Temple.  I had told Felix the story about the on-ramp on our drive to the temple so it was still fresh in my mind as we sat in the sealing room.  I looked around (it probably appeared that I was staring) and realized how much I loved all of the people in the room (even the ones I didn't know...but my heart was bursting with joy at being there, so I really do love them too!) and realized that when 'We're gonna die' actually happened, I was still going to be surrounded my people I really love (even if they did have to take a trip DOWN to see me on occasion!).  

After all of the CRAZY in my life, it was a perfect moment to celebrate the blessing of now....and forever!

LESSONS LEARNED
1. Don't sweat the small stuff....it's all small stuff.  (Hmmmmm.....seems to be a recurring theme in my life)
2. Perspective...it's all a matter of perspective.  In the eternal scheme of things, as long as I have my family and loved ones, that is all that matters.
3. It's going to be extremely difficult to leave here.  But Heavenly Father never closes a door without opening a window....and the window has a beautiful view!
4. I need to accept things I cannot change, instead, I need to change how I view the things I cannot change.
5. It's time to stop wallowing and start showing a little gratitude....where much is given, much is required and a simple thank you is a good first step.

No comments: