Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

I'M GONNA BE SHINY! I'M GONNA BE SHINY!

You know how things never quite work out the way they expect....that seems to happen to me A LOT!

The day after Grandma died, Felix got a phone call. "Hey Felix, we think you would be perfect to run the new divisions in Ohio, Wisconsin and Missouri." Of course we asked them to wait a week so that we could get through the funeral. And we did.

Felix started talking to the people involved the next week. Then my dad went in for knee replacement surgery the Wednesday after Grandma was buried. By that Friday, his blood sugar went COMPLETELY out of control and started causing other problems with his major internal organs. That was exciting. He was only supposed to be in the hospital 3 days. Because of all of the complications he was having, he was unable to do the therapy that is SO necessary after joint replacement.

Felix and I went and spent time with him that Friday, and saw how bad things were. To keep an extremely LONG story short, after his blood sugar improved and his kidneys started functioning properly, he developed blood clots in his lungs, then one in his leg....after several weeks, he was able to get into the rehabilitation facility to get his body where it needed to be. He went back to the hospital to get his staples removed, nearly collapsed and was admitted to the ICU. After a night or two there, he went to a regular room where he continued to battle some of his physical demons. After a few more days, he was able to go back to rehab. And after six and a half LONG weeks, he is finally home.

In the meantime........we have found out that Savannah and Baylee both have growth plate related injuries because their growth plates are NOT closing......and because of Baylee's arthritis and some related strength and pain issues, both are starting physical therapy. Meanwhile, Noah had chipped his elbow and Felix damaged the tendon in one of his feet. Oy, and let's not forget that Baylee has new inflammation in her eyes, and absolutely CANNOT back off of her infusion therapy and has some new meds to hopefully combat the possibility of long term damage.

Backing away from the medical drama that never seems to end, I've been slowly working through Grandma's things. Taking her food to the food bank was one of the most difficult, yet rewarding things I have EVER done! Having sorted her clothes yesterday, I realize how much I am ALWAYS going to miss Grandma.

So back to the job drama. Felix began travelling to do interviews. One interviewer would say we didn't have to relocate, while another said there was ABSOLUTELY no choice. It went back and forth and back and forth.

Finally they made an offer, we countered, they countered, we said no. Then they came back and said, absolutely you can have what you want. So....it would seem we will be moving to Missouri at the end of July, beginning of August.

So why air all of this dirty laundry??? Mostly because, it has been an emotional journey....I am never going to feel the same about February and March....and maybe the beginning of April. But in spite of ALL of the crazy, I've managed to walk away with a new perspective.

One of my very favorite parables is the story of the Refiner's Fire. The vivid picture of being placed directly in the fire and then carefully molded, again and again, until you are perfect and shiny. In fact you are so perfect, the Savior's image can be seen in you.

Well, that is where I am right now, I keep getting thrown into the fire. Sometimes I get hit with the realization of just how stubborn I am. I realize that my stubborness is going to be reflected in how many times I go into the fire, how long I stay in the fire and how long it is going to take before I am polished like I need to be.

I am so grateful to have a loving and PATIENT Heavenly Father that will take the time to mold me in His image. I am so grateful that I can completely trust in Him, because with all of the chaos in my life....I don't completely trust myself.

Since I am the mayor of crazy town, and figure that no matter where I live I am always going to be in crazy town.....I just have to keep reminding myself of exactly HOW shiny I am going to be....and that is REALLY, REALLY shiny!!!!

Lessons Learned
1. Whoa.....I know, right?
2. There is always calm within the storm.....not just before and after.
3. I'm glad to know that I am strong enough to listen and OBEY....although I didn't say that I wouldn't mope and complain a bit.
4. Change is good....right?
5. So much to do, so little time.

5 comments:

Megan said...

WHAT??? I thought we were the ones dealing with relocating for a job!? And to the midwest...how did my drama get transfered to you guys? Was it something I said? LOL Weird. ; )
And as your neighbor and friend, can I just say...BOO!!!!!!!!! But also as your neighbor and friend can I just say...Good for you guys!!!!!
♥♥♥Love ya♥♥♥ You are beyond amazingly awesome! : )

kimara said...

where in missouri?

The Ridgeways said...

Whew! Your life makes me tired! Good luck on the big move, I hope it turns out to be wonderful for you and your family but I will miss you, better keep blogging!

stevenbpt said...

shoulda made NOT relocating one of the issues not negotiable. But that is the selfish me speaking.

Lore said...

......Umm....Ahh...(Sniff)...ok... (hold back the tears, hold back the tears...)

...all I can think of saying is...

I am going to miss you!