Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Twi-Harder

I just read the Twilight series for the first time.  I am an aberration to pop culture.

I HATED IT!

On so many levels and for SO many reasons.  I will name a few....just for fun.

1.  Pride and Prejudice is my favorite novel....EVER.  After Darcy could there EVER be anyone else?
2.  Anne of Green Gables is my favorite series....EVER (Baylees middle name is Anne...and does it FIT).  Anne and Gilbert anyone?
3.  I don't want my little girls to think that it is EVER okay for boys to sneak into their rooms and spend the night....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
4.  I don't want my little girls to think they aren't enough on their own.....even with a broken heart.  As I am now INCREDIBLY fond of saying, "There can never be an 'US' without a 'U' (YOU) first."  AND I MEAN IT.
5.  I really like fantasy fiction....I'm always up for a good love story, but one can only take 'his chest was like marble' so many times before they consider changing their kitchen counters from granite to foam because of the memories left by a book.
6.  I'd be ticked if someone ruined my pillows, let alone my headboard.
7.  Not to mention a DOG thinking it's going to marry my baby....that's just wrong.
8.  Totally offended by the Abraham, Sarah, Haggar reference....if you don't know what I'm talking about, there's this book....it's called the Bible.
9.  The Loch Ness Monster....where the HUD did that come from?????
10.  Sigh.....I could go on forever.....I'm never going to get the images out of my head.

Lessons Learned
1.  Savannah knows me SO well....she said I would feel better if I rewrote the series....she's right....I would.
2.  Liz and Cat....the 'I HATE TWILIGHT' party had better be worth it.
3.  I have a new, profound gratitude for the incredible rate of speed at which I read.
4.  My little girls deserve WAY better than the boys in these stories.....I hope I can make sure they understand that.
5.  I understand that at this point in my life, I am somewhat jaded and cynical....but I know my husband loves me BECAUSE I am strong and I didn't have to change myself to fit into his world.

2 comments:

kimara said...

I loved the books.
Lessons I hope my SON and DAUGHTER learn from reading them:
1- No matter how much pressure a person puts on you, you can stick to your morals.
2- The big, muscle showing, hot-headed guy does not get the girl. The wimpy looking, brilliant, classical music loving guy does.
3- No matter what the world tells you that you are (a murderous, blood sucking beast) you can CHOOSE to be whatever you want (a peaceful vegetarian).

It seems the women that have the most problem with the books are looking at them from the point of view of a mother, rather than remembering who they were at 17 or 18. I did some crazy things. I enjoyed a love triangle or two. I made decisions that would have an effect on eternity.
i'm just sayin...

Heffalumps and Woozles said...

Mik-Yeah, I totally did read from the viewpoint of the mother....it's impossible for me not to! :) However, at 17 or 18...I was pretty docile, introspective and wanted more than the typical. I just don't want my kids to think they will ever have to CHANGE for someone else....I'm still pretty intent on that point. But....had life not dealt me some of the cards I currently hold in my hands, I may have been more open to the 'experience'....LOL.