Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Angels Among Us

Many of you know that Baylee has to go up to Primary Children's Medical Center pretty often. If you didn't before, you do now.

We were last there a couple of weeks ago. Because we had to push her treatment up, we ended up going a little later in the day than usual. I don't think that was an accident. I think Heavenly Father wanted me to have a particular experience.

The halls of PCMC are blessed. I've always thought that. How can you not, when you see the bent and twisted bodies, the tubes and machines hooked up to children, and all of the amazing people who care for these little ones?

There is a part of me that feels almost guilty for noticing that even though we have our fair share of trials, it could always be worse. I don't like having that viewpoint, but it is reality.

I was somewhat frustrated with our last visit. I was tired, not looking forward to another long afternoon/evening.

It's always interesting to see the people at Primary's. You can see the worry, hope and peace throughout their bodies. Anyone who has spent any time there, even for just a doctors appointment understands the combination of emotion. You worry because of the struggle of your child. You hope for the best....you always hope for the best, even when part of you is expecting the worst. And peace....some have it, some are searching for it and some don't think they will ever find it.

We arrived in our room, got Baylee hooked up to her IV, did all of her blood work and then waited for the medication to arrive from the pharmacy. Once she had ordered her dinner and had a craft to occupy herself, I went to the cafeteria to get myself some dinner so we could eat together.

As I was walking into the cafeteria, I was looking toward the floor, kind of deep in thought about how much more I could take and more importantly about how much more Baylee could take, and how I need to do a better job for all of my children, especially the ones at home. I glanced up to walk through the door (and make sure I wasn't running into anybody or anything) and the first thing I was were two little legs being held up by the supports on the wheelchair. I quickly looked at the boy, his father and walked past to get something to eat.

After I got my food, I went over to the line to pay. I was privileged and extremely humbled to be right behind this child, his father and a guest I hadn't noticed the first time. When I first brushed past, I didn't see what this little one had been through. This time I saw the multiple scars that ran from his feet up his legs. I saw the swelling and irritation of more recent surgical scars on his arms and legs. I also saw the drainage tubes coming from underneath his shirt.

I felt bad for dismissing this little wonder the first time I saw him. After standing behind this little boy for only a few minutes, my spirit was humbled and I felt a peace unlike any other. I was amazed at what I heard from this angel.

As he looked back and forth between his father and the other man as they talked, his eyes were bright and excited. After a moment watching the exchange, he suddenly said, "Bishop, I am so happy to see you. I am always so happy when I'm here, because I get to see so many of my friends. The people here love me Bishop. Know how I know? Because they take care of me. I am so happy to see you. Can you stay for a while? My dad likes to talk to you and so do I. This is why I like it here, because so many people love me." I watched as the Bishop stood there and wiped tears from his eyes. He got down on bended knee and gave a quick hug and said, "What's not to love?"

It may not sound like much, but looking at the scars, the tubes and the physical ailments of this little one and I was completely overcome by what a precious place this was. Even though Baylee did not have the same journey as this boy, hers was still a trial for her. And through it all, how blessed we are to have so many angels among us. These doctors and nurses who have chosen to help the weak, sick and suffering little ones are but a few of the angels there. Others include the friends, volunteers and support staff.

I was also over come by how many of Heavens angels walk through the corridors of that hospital. The blessings of Heaven rest there. Our babies are never alone in their suffering and trials and neither are we.

Heavenly Father would never turn His back on a child and there is proof of that at Primary Children's Medical Center.

I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to see the purity of this boys spirit. I cannot fathom how he has physically suffered, but I can understand so much better why he is able to endure the physical struggles and and yet continue to bring joy to others. What a wonderful scene to witness.  I saw the power of life.  I feel so privileged.

I know mere words could never do justice to what I witnessed, but I hope it suffices to say that I felt the love for my daughter and for me on this visit. I was truly, truly humbled and am so grateful for this loving, gentle reminder of how truly blessed I am.

Lessons Learned
1. There are so many, where do I begin.?
2. How grateful I am to a Father in Heaven that gives us everything, and asks so little in return.
3. I'm grateful for my blessings, even if I have to walk through the refiners fire to reach them.
4. I know I'm stronger for my trials. I know my family is too. I hope we can give our strength to those who need it one day.
5. In this midst of chaos, is where the greatest peace lies.

4 comments:

Steph said...

Thanks for posting this, Wendy. I had many of the same thoughts and emotions during our many visits to Huntsmans. Keep pushing foward, sweetie. We can do it. :)

Saunja said...

What a beautiful post, Wendy. Thank you.

Trevor's Mom said...

Thanks for helping us remember. Love you.

Sudar Clan said...

Wow, great post. Really makes you feel grateful and humble when you see what someone else is going through and they are still smiling.