Pages

Friday, January 15, 2010

GUILTY!

As a form of entertainment for Felix and I, we have started handling household disputes by holding court. We go up to the master bedroom, and have each of the children involved testify as to their version of events.

Tonight Caleb and Baylee decided to beat the snot out of each other. And really...there were boogers flying everywhere. I stopped them short of blood and decided to hold court.

We invited Caleb to be the first witness and had him stand on the hope chest at the foot of the bed. Don't worry, he's short, no worries about the ceiling fan. We prepared the witness for his first question from one of the judges (that was me!).

As I sternly asked the first question, "Caleb, have you been mean to your sister?" He didn't shy away from my gaze and firmly answered, "Yes." In the corner where Baylee was waiting for her turn to testify, she quietly said, "He's guilty."

At which point Caleb jumped off of the hope chest and ran out of the room screaming, "I'm guilty! I'm guilty!" and started to cry.

Lessons Learned
1. A guilty complex is a terrible thing to waste.
2. Court has been a wonderful learning process about our legal system.
3. Since I have 4 aspiring attorneys, practice makes perfect.
4. I do believe I need to get one of those really cool wigs that judges wear in England.
5. I am proud that I am able to pass my guilty complex onto the next generation.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I had to read this to Michael....lol. We both chuckled...I really want to give Caleb a big hug.

Christy said...

that is soooo funny! you have great parenting ideas! GUILTY!! (if you need a jury, give me a call). :)