Pages

Monday, October 19, 2009

Return of the Children of the Corn

Ahhhhh....this years visit to the corn maze was bittersweet. We had so much fun last you in Colorado with the fam (and superly awesome extended fam), that even though we had a blast we felt like something was missing. But we went anyways.

We rounded up all of the chicklets and let Caleb invite a friend. The older kids get to have friends come with us to various activities all of the time, but as the caboose, Caleb usually gets the shaft. So we decided that he could invite Megan...his most favorite person in the whole wide world.

We got there, it was packed thanks to Fall Break, but we managed to find a decent parking place and get everyone in and going. The very first thing we did was head to the ginormous inflatable dinosaur that had the awesome sound of a heartbeat coming out of it. It was a dinosaur, how cool. So we lined up, held hands, and headed into the dark abyss of the dinosaurs mouth.

We passed the uvula (which by the way, means it is a girl dinosaur and if you don't know what I am talking about you need to watch Monster House, nuff said), and went down the throat...I've always wanted to really jump down someones throat...it just happened to be an inflatable dinosaur at a corn maze. We made it to the heart, with the very exciting red flashing lights and heart sounds...and the kids were all flipping out.

Our little group of seven passed the heart and made it to what I assume was the stomach, were you got sprayed with 'stomach juices' (try and use my imagination for a minute, OKAY?) and there was the sound of pht-pht-pht-pht-pht-pht...kinda like a machine gun. Noah literally pulled hims arms out of his jacket as a reflex. Caleb jumped a foot in the air. Megan started crying. Baylee was walking around in circles. And Savannah found the emergency exit, held the flap up to let in the light and was yelling, "Go! Go! Go!" Okay that isn't really what she said, but it sounded a lot better than, "Come on, we are getting out of here...the kids are crying." So Felix and I did what any responsible parent would do, we sent everyone out with Savannah and he and I finished.

The best part was when we tripped over the wet pants that had been abandoned and then we were 'pooped' out somewhere near the tail. We loved that the kids really only had about 10 seconds left until the end, but we did feel bad Megan cried. Oh, we also think our kids are chickens and they need to toughen up a bit. Can you tell I loved the dinosaur and watching my kids get freaked?

Then we went on the tractor, wagon ride thingamabob and then let the kids go on the cow tractor. We enjoyed the pig races...my personal favorite was Swill Clinton, but Hammah Montana was a personal favorite too.

Then it was off to the maze. Savannah wanted to be navigator. She is really a good navigator, but here is the problem...she doesn't wait for anyone else. Noah, well, he is a slow walker...he mosey's, just like his dad.

We made it about halfway through, following a long series of Savannah, hurry ups and Noah, catch ups. By this time Noah was near tears because his legs hurt so bad, so I took over. (And if you scroll through Savannahs Facebook comments, you will find out how she felt about me taking over.) By the way, if you ever want to get through a corn maze fast...let me 'drive'. I had it down to a science. We were out in 5 minutes.

So then we made it to the hay ride, and we got an extra long one because they had to pick up the tire that fell off of the hay ride before us. While we were on the hay ride, we got to watch the UHP helicopters circle, along with the KSL helicopter around another part of Thanksgiving Point. And you know what, I watch COPS way too much, because I totally knew there was somebody they were looking for. And gas is too expensive for helicopters to just come and hang out at the corn maze.

We decided to finish up with the bouncy bubbles. Baylee, Caleb and Megan had the time of the their lives, while Felix and Savannah checked out the rocks. Poor Noah just sat on a bench and hung his head.

We left and stopped at a cute little pumpkin patch in Highland and picked out our pumpkins. By the time we got home, Noah had a ginormous fever. Maybe I should start checking before I tell him to quit whining.

Lessons Learned
1. I totally want to take my kids to a haunted house or forest just to freak 'em out.
2. Corn Mazes are more fun in the dark.
3. Holiday stuff is WAY more fun with family.
4. I need to find the stupid connector cord for my camera so I can post pictures.
5. I want to take Noah back when he is feeling better so it will at least not be a bad memory.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Love it! Family does make it fun huh. I could write a book about how things were when we got lost in the middle of the maze. Not pretty by the end. (I may have been the grumpiest)
Fun!!!!!
Oh the Dinosaur, Kiley drug me and Cayson out the first exit she saw! We never made it to the stomach juices. : ) Maybe next year.