Pages

Monday, August 10, 2009

I Didn't Know Peace Was Wet

So, I was really looking forward to alittle bit of downtime yesterday. I desperately needed it. With surgery looming tomorrow and the hectic events to prepare today, yesterday was supposed to be my 'IT' day. You know, low key, no big, no stress, no nothing. Welcome to my world, where classic definitions and reality collide. The Morgan family has its' own personal take on the Big Bang Theory...it is what happens around here on a daily basis.

After church, which was edifying and beautiful, we came home to settle down to a finger food lunch. One of those lunches where you each all of the little bits left in tater tot bags, taquito bags, pizza roll bags, etc. After lunch, we though we would hook up the media server and watch a flick with the kids.

As Felix was attempting to hook everything up and getting frustrated by the mere fact that nothing ever worked they way it was supposed too, we had to take the TV off the wall to check some connections and settings. Well of course we did. Which I decided was a perfect opportunity to move the bracket so that the TV was FINALLY centered on the wall.

After some fun with power tools, we get the TV all hooked up and back on the wall, go to try the server and realize we need the wireless keyboard. Felix goes into the storage closet to get it and out loud wonders why he is standing in an inch of water. Stupid pump on the AC tripped the GFI and stopped pumping...I'm thinking all sorts of asterisks and ampersands in my head right now instead of swearing...just so you know.

So long story short, we rip out the carpet, the pad, the tack boards, throw bleach all over the concrete floor and baseboards to kill anything that might be growing (FYI...no mold, just mildew) and set the fans. Sigh...really, really big sigh.

We leave our basement, dejected and sad, but realize that there is a heck of a lot worse out there. Sometimes it doesn't feel like it, but there is. We are PRETTY DANG lucky.

Lessons Learned
1. I am having to stretch on these, so be patient.
2. I will NEVER do another addition, EVER, even if I live in a VW van on the banks of the river.
3. I will NEVER do another pump...drains only.
4. I will find the bright side...which is new flooring...eventually.
5. I think as frustrating as this is, at least it makes for good story telling.

2 comments:

The Ridgeways said...

So sorry, but maybe you will like the new flooring better and be happier? In the long run? The long long long run, lol. Our basement flooded every year for 3 years in a row once, so I feel your pain. Good luck!

Megan said...

OK that sucks! How are you feeling? : ) Thinkin' of you!!