Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Busted!

Due to my lack of mobility, we made a few changes to Christmas this year. Nothing major. Usually Felix and I stay up late on Christmas Eve, wrap all of the presents and put everything under the tree. Because I had to have so much help, we have been wrapping a little bit at a time and putting things under the tree because there was NO WAY I was going to make it on Christmas Eve.

Last night, I'm laying down with my boot off (shhhhhhh, don't tell the doctor) and Caleb comes in holding his drum set. Yeah, that would be the one that just got wrapped and put under the tree. Maybe teaching him to read isn't such a good idea. And he says...Mom, look what I got for Christmas!

Because I am trying not to laugh and because I can't get up, I call Felix who walks in and Caleb proudly tells him, "Look Dad! I got drums for Christmas". Felix explained that it wasn't Christmas and took it away.

And the tantrum of the century ensued. After watching the equivalent of the Tasmanian Devil with PMS...I am grateful my walls are still standing. We made him go and pick another gift from under the tree that he had to give back. So he went down started opening presents so he could decide what he was going to give back.

Felix was able to stop him before he got too far...but still...he is the first and only of our children BRAVE enough to even attempt opening Christmas presents before Christmas. And he didn't even try to be sneaky about it.

So while he was in time out, we had everyone else bring all of the presents to my room to remove the temptation of the holiday season!

And for all of you 'Children Cruelty Police' out there....he's gonna get his stuff back. Relax...no need to call child protective services!

Lessons Learned
1. There really was a reason why we waited to put presents under the tree. Who knew?
2. I forgot how hard it was to be 4.
3. I forgot how hard it was to be 4 with older sibling(s) who didn't make things any easier for you.
4. Now we get to lug everything down on Christmas Eve anyway. I'm thinking of using a sheet and creating a slide.
5. Perhaps we need to work on the reason for the season!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Merry Christmas Wendy!!!

Heidi said...

It seems like he was still happy about his drumset on Christmas even though he knew about it! :)